Tuesday, February 12, 2019

I Love Books!

By Sharon Rose



      I Love Books! ....and I wanted my children to love books too!  Nurture a love for books in your child by starting early.  I started reading to each of my 3 children at 3 months old, just so they could hear more of my voice.  However, 4 or 5 months is a good age to start reading to your baby.  Reading a good book to your baby allows them to hear your voice more, and learn to recognize it.  As my children grew to 6, 9, and 12 months old, they looked at the pictures more and more, at each stage.  Babies tend to hit the pages, coo, and squeal with delight, as they marvel at the pictures on the pretty, colorful pages. My own children loved to put the cloth books in their mouths!  I liked the cloth books for them when they were babies. I could pop them in the washing machine and they were all clean again.  Books were fun for them! 



      As toddlers, they easily turned the pages and showed an interest in listening to what the story was about. They also had their favorite books they wanted to read, over and over again.  It's fine if they won't sit still to listen to the whole story; that will come, in time.  There may even be a few scribbles with crayons and torn pages, here and there, but the reading readiness benefits are worth it. 

      Bedtime  stories often become a favorite, too.  Many parents, as did I, find that establishing this routine is a good way to help their toddler calm down, after a day filled with play, and reduce their stress level, making it easier to fall asleep.  The sound of a parents voice is soothing and reassuring.  Also, by the time your child is a toddler, provide crayons and paper for him to play-write (scribble) and draw in his own beginners way.  This activity encourages the imaginary stories and ideas that help stimulate a desire to learn to read stories.  One day they will be reading to you!  I Love Books!



*Added Resource - How to choose books for your young child: http://www.parents.com/kids/education/reading/get-your-kids-excited-about-books-3-to-4-years/?sssdmh=dm17.608615&esrc=nwpmmdailytip072712&email=4307291495



Copyright, I Love Books, Sharon Rose, Parents Want to Know 101, February 12, 2019.  All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment